Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I like you guys better than *******...much more stable and a whole lot fewer issues." - Comment from Philip
"Its working FABULOUSLY for me!! Holy cow...there has been so much I've been missing lately, and with this feed and Linnsoft software...I'm in the game now." - Comment from Chris R.
"I just wanted to let you know how fast and easy I found it to integrate IQFeed into our existing Java code using your JNI client. In my experience, such things almost never go so smoothly - great job!" - Comment from Nate
"IQ feed works very well, does not have all of the normal interruptions I have grown used to on *******" - Comment from Mark
"The people at Nirvana have very nice things to say about your company and I can see why! Price and service is a potent combination." - Comment from Ed
"I would just like to say that IQFeed version 4 is running very well and I am very happy with its performance. I would also like to extend a big thanks for the fast and efficient help that I always receive. My questions and concerns are always addressed promptly. Way to go!" - Comment from Josh in CO.
"Can I get another account from you? I am tired of ******* going down so often" - Comment from George
"The service is great, I see a noticeable improvement in my volume profiles over [broker]'s data feed" - Comment from Larry
"Thank you so much - awesome feed, awesome service!" - Comment from Greg via Email
"I cannot believe what a difference it makes trading with ProphetX!" - Comment from Bruce in Los Angeles
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »DTN.IQ Client Software Support »Performance with multiple socket clients to IQconnect.exe
Author Topic: Performance with multiple socket clients to IQconnect.exe (2 messages, Page 1 of 1)

mvo
-Interested User-

Posted: Aug 4, 2011 08:19 PM          Msg. 1 of 2
Hi,
How much extra CPU and network traffic overhead is added when I connect two (as opposed to one) instances of my socket-based application to IQconnect? Both instances are requesting the identical data in terms of the ticker list and dynamic fields.
I tried that a couple days ago and didn't see any noticeable increase in CPU utilization - just want to confirm my observation. CPU stayed at around 15% for 1300 tickers.

What happens if second app is requesting the same fields as the first app plus some more? Will IQconnect be delivering just a single superset of two requested subsets and then distribute whatever is requested by each or will it stream over the Internet two separate sub-feeds for two clients?

Thanks

DTN Brian Wood
-Interested User-

Posted: Aug 5, 2011 10:38 AM          Msg. 2 of 2
You should be able to make multiple socket connections to IQFeed, as long as they are all on the same machine. IQFeed is designed to have multiple socket connections and applications connected to it.

In IQFeed, the minimal number of connections needed is made to the DTN servers. The communications to the server is compressed binary to minimize traffic over the internet. IQFeed maintains its own internal symbol, data, and client lists, and then sends out the data as needed by the clients to minimize duplication of data.

Adding a second client watching the same data just adds a little overhead of sending out an update to two or more socket connections instead of one, which shouldn't affect IQFeed an extra lot. The data is received once from the servers and then just sent out as much as needed by the client applications.

The more symbols you watch and the more clients you have running or additional socket connections you maintain to IQFeed, the more efficient your application code might need to be to run well.

Visit our new online forums! DTN employees actively monitor the forums to provide you the highest level of support in the industry. Our forums also has an announcements area where you can learn about new features or changes within DTN. You can even use the forums to exchange trading ideas or tips and tricks on how you use your DTN data to be more profitable.

Go to http://forums.dtniq.com now to start sharing information with fellow DTN subscribers!

Time: Wed April 24, 2024 1:08 PM CFBB v1.2.0 7 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003