Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"DTN feed was the only feed that consistently matched Bloomberg feed for BID/ASK data verification work these past years......DTN feed is a must for my supply & demand based trading using Cumulative Delta" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"There is no doubt that IQFeed is the best data provider. I am very satisfied with your services. And IQFeed is the only one that I would recommend to my friends. Now, most of them are using your product in China." - Comment from Zhezhe
"IQ feed works very well, does not have all of the normal interruptions I have grown used to on *******" - Comment from Mark
"Excellent datafeed !!!" - Comment from Arely
"If you are serious about your trading I would not rely on IB data for serious daytrading. Took me a while to justify the cost of IQ Feed and in the end, it's just a 2 point stop on ES. Better safe than sorry" - Comment from Public Forum
"After all the anxiety I had with my previous data provider it is a relief not to have to worry about data speed and integrity." - Comment from Eamonn
"I had always used ******* but for the past 2 weeks have been trying DTN IQFeed. Customer support has been extraordinary. They call just to make sure your problem hasn't recurred." - Comment from Public Forum
"I ran your IQFeed DDE vs. my broker vs. a level II window for some slow-moving options. I would see the level II quote change, then your feed update instantaneously. My broker's DDE, however, would take as much as 30 seconds to update. I am not chasing milliseconds, but half a minute is unacceptable." - Comment from Rob
"I cannot believe what a difference it makes trading with ProphetX!" - Comment from Bruce in Los Angeles
"Its working FABULOUSLY for me!! Holy cow...there has been so much I've been missing lately, and with this feed and Linnsoft software...I'm in the game now." - Comment from Chris R.
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »DTNIQ Client Software Wish List »Changes to the new release of DTNIQ Time & Sales window titles/title bar.
Author Topic: Changes to the new release of DTNIQ Time & Sales window titles/title bar. (2 messages, Page 1 of 1)

AMA
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Dec 9, 2013 04:42 PM          Msg. 1 of 2
There are some significant(to me) changes with how the current release of DTNIQ
handles Time & Sales title bars, of all things. Probably nothing you all ever
thought of, but it makes a noticeable diff to me, as not everyone runs this stuff
in ways you might expect. Details:

* I use a lot of T&S windows for tick data and 1 minute data. Equities and option names.
I want easy, realtime access to historical tick/minute data during the trading day and
DTNIQ works very well for this.

* Way too much stuff to deal with manually...so, off I went, looking for some help...

* I tried DTNIQ 'Workspaces' to help manage these but it's inadequate because it won't
remember T&S window size and placement on my monitors. It also won't allow for mixing
of Tick and Minute data - all of the windows created have to be one data type and size only.
And, lastly, I can't create two separate workgroups; open one and then piggyback the
second on top of it. Each workgroup started up wipes out ALL T&S windows currently open.
If I wanna open 30 windows, all I get are 30 windows of the same data type dumped into the
middle of my screen. Same location, same size. No help in sizing and positioning these
windows anywhere or mixing tick/minute data types.

* So, to get around all of these issues, I now use a Windows Macro generator called Autohotkey
(AutoHotkey.com) to crank all of this up for me. Very powerful macro language. I can have
it create whatever data type selection I want, fill in stock/option names, move the windows
where I want 'em and resize, if necessary. Very nice. Just fire off some routines, no
thinking required.

* To manage and move around my T&S windows, I name some of them via changing the Title Bar
name. This also makes them easier to read and comprehend, compared to the default options name.
For example, an AAPL 560c option for Dec 06, 2013 expiration window normally comes up with
a Title Bar name of 'AAPL1306L560 - Time & Sales'. Quite a mouthful. Note that the title
does not indicate whether it's tick data or minute data. You have look at the data itself
or in the small white data type section at the top of the window. So, I might name the window
'AAPL-560c-Tick' or 'AAPL-560c-Minute' for ease of viewing. Very handy. Also, very easy
to find individual windows for macro usage, such as screen placement and sizing.

Built my Autohotkey code around this and everything worked fine...until it didn't.

* I migrated from DTNIQ 2.7.0.3 to the current release of 2.10.0.5 and all hell broke loose.

Here's the laundry list of what's wrong and what I'd like to see changed, either back to the
way it used to work or fixed so it works correctly to begin with. I might mention that I browsed
ALL of the release notes up to the current level and -nothing- was mentioned about Title Bars.

If it's worth changing, it's worth mentioning in the release notes.

You have no way of knowing the various ways in which your customer base uses this software.
I may be the only person doing what I'm doing, but what matters -to me- is that there's
some consistency between releases. Took me a couple hours that I didn't have at the time
to rework my code, and it's still not quite right.

* First up, when I open a new/blank T&S window, the title is 'Time and Sales'. However,
when I fill it up with data, the window is now 'xxxx - Time & Sales'. The blank window
should be 'Time & Sales' to begin with...someone probably didn't notice this when making
the change over. The old version always listed the title as 'Time and Sales'; no '&'.
So, change the blank/empty T&S window title from 'Time and Sales' to 'Time & Sales' to
be consistent.

* Next, someone decided to flip flop the order of the title components. It used to read
something like 'Time and Sales - AAPL1306L560'...now, it's 'AAPL1306L560 - Time & Sales'.
No consistency. Now, I can live with this, as it's a one time change to my code.
What is really not cool is:

* The old release would retain my add-on ('AAPL-560c-Tick') when I clicked on the green refresh
icon button at the top. Now, it wipes out everything and dumps 'AAPL1306L560 - Time & Sales' back
into the title bar. This means I have to -manually- rename a T&S window everytime I do
a refresh. Inconvenient, to say the least. Under the old 2.7.0.3 DTNIQ code, clicking on
refresh would change the title bar to 'AAPL-560C-Tick - AAPL1306L560'.
Workable, as my title was still buried in there somewhere, so I could continue to find it and
manipulate the window with my autohotkey code.

So, net out of the above is that I'd like to see some consistency in naming conventions for
T&S windows and most of all, some retaining of a name change I might do, whenever I click on the
refresh icon. I can live with any order, but it needs to work correctly and remain the same from
release to release.

What I'd recommend most would be to come up with a title that lists the THREE title components
that matter, which are the stock/options symbol name, 'Time & Sales' logo, and new-to-DTINQ,
the type of data captured in a particular window, such as 'Tick', '1 Minute', '2 Minute',
'Daily', 'Weekly', etc.

Examples:

'AAPL1306L560 - Time & Sales - Tick'
'AAPL1306L560 - Time & Sales - 5 Minute'
'AAPL - Time & Sales - Daily'

This way, each title is more unique and better describes what's being captured. And, for users
who don't go through the gyrations I do, when they hover their cursor over the Windows tray,
popping up a laundry list of T&S window names, they wouldn't have to wonder what type of data
a particular window shows. Try it yourself: create a bunch of T&S windows, use the same
name 'AAPL', throw in 5-6 time intervals, minimize some/all of them, then hover your cursor
on the Windows tray and try to figure out what you have...not so easy, is it?

I usually have ~60 of these tick/minute T&S windows open during the trading day. Way too much
to have splattered across my screens, so I minimize them and bring them up when needed. I have
some automation to do this for me and it works very well. But, as listed above, I need something
unique to each window to allow the automation to figure out what's what. As of now, I now
longer can do that.

Questions on any of this, lemme know...

AMA
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Dec 17, 2013 09:14 AM          Msg. 2 of 2
ALL fixed now and working just fine...title bars work even better than before in the old 2.7.0.3 release I was using.

See post in other section:

http://forums.dtniq.com/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=3741

Time: Tue April 23, 2024 8:44 AM CFBB v1.2.0 14 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003