Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"Boy, probably spent a thousand hours trying to get ******* API to work right. And now two hours to have something running with IQFeed. Hmmm, guess I was pretty stupid to fight rather than switch all this time. And have gotten more customer service from you guys already than total from them… in five years." - Comment from Jim
"I would just like to say that IQFeed version 4 is running very well and I am very happy with its performance. I would also like to extend a big thanks for the fast and efficient help that I always receive. My questions and concerns are always addressed promptly. Way to go!" - Comment from Josh in CO.
"You have an excellent product !!!!!!" - Comment from Arely
"This beats the pants off CQG, I am definitely switching to the ProphetX 3.0!" - Comment from Stephen
"Thanks for the great product and support. During this week of high volume trading, my QuoteTracker + IQ Feed setup never missed a beat. Also, thanks for your swiftness in responding to data issues. I was on ******* for a few years before I made the switch over early this year, and wish I had done it a long time ago." - Comment from Ken
"Everything is working great ! Very impressive client. The news refreshes better and is more pertinent than the ******* feed I paid $ 100/month for. I Also like the charts a lot." - Comment from Leon
"Previously I was using *******. IQFeed is WAY more economical, and for my charting needs is just as good, if not better." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"You have an excellent feed. Very few spikes for Spot Forex." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"I cannot believe what a difference it makes trading with ProphetX!" - Comment from Bruce in Los Angeles
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Level 1 Update Message Last Trade Time Always Ends With b
Author Topic: Level 1 Update Message Last Trade Time Always Ends With b (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)

tccharleton
-Interested User-

Reluctant but dedicated nerd.

Posted: Nov 29, 2015 08:42 AM          Msg. 1 of 8
I have attached a few examples of strings coming in from a Level 1 feed that is set with defaults. I have been searching through my records from that day and I cannot find any non-trade, Last Trade Time values that end with a (indicating a change to the ask part of the quote).

Do all updated quote values set the Last Trade Time value to end with a 'b' or should I be scanning for other values to capture asks?

Big Picture: I use the last Level 1 quote values on options contracts to build OHLC for options quotes because some of the option contracts I watch can go for a long time without a trade but I need to know how they fluctuate based on what is being quoted. I would love to use the interval bars for this, but I believe they only reflect trade activity.

Many Thanks!

File Attached: spy_example.txt (downloaded 1403 times)

DTN_Tim Walter
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Nov 30, 2015 08:54 AM          Msg. 2 of 8
You are using an older protocol it sounds like. What you would really want to do is upgrade your code to use the 5.1 protocol so that you have access to the Message Contents field which will handle the scenario where we receive a bid and an ask in the same message, which is what you are seeing here. In the 4.9 protocol it only shows the first possible condition, in this case a bid and the ask is being lost.

You are also correct that since we do not store any historical bid or ask data, it will not be referenced in any of our interval data.

Tim

tccharleton
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 30, 2015 11:44 AM          Msg. 3 of 8
I corrected my mistake of using an old protocol. I cannot seem to find the message contents field you referenced. Attached are two files. One is my connection log which shows that the protocol is set to 5.1 . The second file contains outputs of strings I receive and those same strings parsed by comma.

Please forgive me but I cannot identify the Message Contents field.

BTW, I am running with multiple threads (Java) that each output to a separate concurrent collection that is, in turn, processed on another separate thread. I mention this because of your statement that "... in this case a bid and the ask is being lost." I just want to make sure that the bid reflects the last update and not that I should be looking for something lost in memory somewhere.

Many Thanks,

File Attached: IQConnectLog3.txt (downloaded 1544 times)

tccharleton
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 30, 2015 11:48 AM          Msg. 4 of 8
Output file in case it didn't get attached the first time.

File Attached: OutputOfIQF.txt (downloaded 1476 times)

quickTick
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 2, 2015 12:39 AM          Msg. 5 of 8
Field 80 in the Level 1 Update/Summary Message:
http://www.iqfeed.net/dev/api/docs/Level1UpdateSummaryMessage.cfm

quickTick
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 2, 2015 01:10 AM          Msg. 6 of 8
Your connection log shows "S,SET PROTOCOL,5.1" only for the admin socket. Perhaps that's also necessary for the Level 1 socket.

DTN_Tim Walter
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Dec 2, 2015 04:43 AM          Msg. 7 of 8
Correct, you do need to set your protocol for each socket connection individually. It would also be worth looking at dynamic fieldsets so that you are getting just the fields you need and you can order them as you see fit.

http://www.iqfeed.net/dev/api/docs/DynamicFieldsets.cfm

S,SET PROTOCOL,5.1
S,CURRENT PROTOCOL,5.1,
S,CURRENT UPDATE FIELDNAMES,Symbol,Most Recent Trade,Most Recent Trade Size,Most Recent Trade TimeMS,Most Recent Trade Market Center,Total Volume,Bid,Bid Size,Ask,Ask Size,Open,High,Low,Close,Message Contents,Most Recent Trade Conditions

S,SELECT UPDATE FIELDS,Last,Message Contents
S,CURRENT UPDATE FIELDNAMES,Symbol,Last,Message Contents

w@ESZ15
F,@ESZ15,22,,,2118.75,1785.00,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,E-MINI S&P 500 DECEMBER 2015,,,,,,,,,,, , ,,0,12,2,,19.45,8,43,05/19/2015,10/15/2014,,,,,,12/18/2015,,,ES,
P,@ESZ15,2103.25,Cbasohlc,
Q,@ESZ15,2103.25,C,
Q,@ESZ15,2103.25,C,

tccharleton
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 2, 2015 09:59 AM          Msg. 8 of 8
I was missing setting the protocol version on the various services. I was only setting it on the Admin service. I am going to prune the number of fields. I was just unable to see what they contained.

Many Thanks!

Time: Thu April 25, 2024 12:23 AM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003