Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"The people at Nirvana have very nice things to say about your company and I can see why! Price and service is a potent combination." - Comment from Ed
"I noticed that ******* quotes locked up shortly after the interest rate announcement yesterday while yours stayed stable." - Comment from Ron in Utah
"And by the way, have to say this. I love the IQFeed software. It's rock solid and it has a really nice API." - Comment from Thomas via RT Chat
"My broker in Davenport suggested I give you a try as he uses your service and says its the best." - Comment from Bill via RT Chat
"I've never had DTN go out on me since switching. ******* would go down a couple times every month when I was using them." - Comment from Bryce in AL.
"Just a thank you for the very helpful and prompt assistance and services. You provided me with noticeably superior service in my setup compared to a couple of other options I had looked at." - Comment from John
"Excellent datafeed !!!" - Comment from Arely
"For anyone considering using DTN.IQ for a data feed, my experience with the quality of data and the tech support has been very positive." - Comment from Public Forum
"I have to tell you though that using the IQFeed API is about the easiest and cleanest I have seen for some time." - Comment from Jim
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Corrupted structure for historical data
Author Topic: Corrupted structure for historical data (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)

ovolansky
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 27, 2018 08:59 AM          Msg. 1 of 6
Hello,

I'm trying to receive historical data for approx 2000 symbols and after a while some records which I receive are not in correct structure.

It looks like the last row overwrite the first row and the message begins with: 238,!ENDMSG!,
Could you please advice me, what could be the reason? ( I tried to increase socket buffer, but without any improvement)

Thank you,
Ondrej

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Apr 27, 2018 09:22 AM          Msg. 2 of 6
Hello, this is almost certainly a case of either not properly dealing with partial messages you read off the socket or not properly clearing resources between requests.

By "partial messages", I'm referring to when you read from a socket into a buffer, there is no guarantee that the last characters read will be at a message break which means you have to save off the partial message you received and prepend it to the beginning of the data on the next socket read.

ovolansky
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 27, 2018 09:42 AM          Msg. 3 of 6
Hello,

I reused the script from your example, please see enclosed file. The strange thing is, that ENDMSG replaces the beginning of the original message, it is not just in the wrong order - so it looks that it happen already somewhere in the socket - as OnReceive only concatenate strings (in my case it is overwritten).

It happens only when I ask for longer period and only in very few cases. 1 of 300.

File Attached: vb_net.txt (downloaded 1358 times)

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Apr 27, 2018 01:46 PM          Msg. 4 of 6
There are a couple changes to that file that could affect the reliability of the code (I am unable to tell since the changes call functions that aren't included). However, by modifying the same example app to adding a simple re-request loop that triggers when the ENDMSG is received, I was able to cycle through ~27K requests without error before I stopped it.

I'm not discounting the idea that the example code might have a bug in it that causes this. The example code is designed to simply demonstrate the communication and isn't very robust. Of course it is also possible that it could be a bug in the feed itself although that would be much less likely.

My recommendation to continue troubleshooting would be for you to examine the calls to BeginReceive and EndReceive to make sure they are always paired correct. For every call to BeginReceive, there should be exactly one call to EndRecieve and it should happen before the next call to BeginReceive.

I would also add an extra Array.Clear on the socket buffer array before calling EndReceive just to be 100% sure that any data you are processing is new off the socket instead of somehow leftover from the previous read.

You might also want to turn on logging in IQConnect (you can do this via the diagnostics app) to see what the feed is actually sending and compare this to what your app is receiving. Unfortunately, the logging in IQConnect will certainly affect performance of the feed and will likely result in a very large text file so it could be troublesome to work with.
Edited by DTN_Steve_S on Apr 27, 2018 at 01:48 PM

ovolansky
-Interested User-

Posted: May 2, 2018 03:34 AM          Msg. 5 of 6
Hello,

I will try to do some testing on my side based on your advice.

Thank you,
Ondrej

ovolansky
-Interested User-

Posted: May 3, 2018 02:20 AM          Msg. 6 of 6
Hello,

Finally I found an issue in the way I called the socket - I called it twice. Now it works without any problems.

Thank you for your support

Time: Thu April 25, 2024 12:42 PM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003