Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I've been using IQFeed 4 in a multi-threaded situation for the last week or two on 2600 symbols or so with 100 simultaneous daily charts, and I have had 100% responsiveness." - Comment from Scott
"I will tell others who want to go into trading that DTN ProphetX is an invaluable tool, I don't think anyone can trade without it..." - Comment from Luther
"The service is great, I see a noticeable improvement in my volume profiles over [broker]'s data feed" - Comment from Larry
"And by the way, have to say this. I love the IQFeed software. It's rock solid and it has a really nice API." - Comment from Thomas via RT Chat
"I'm satisfied with IQFeed. It's the most reliable and fastest quote feed I have ever used. Although I'm a resident in China, it's still very fast!" - Comment from Xiaofei
"Everything is working great ! Very impressive client. The news refreshes better and is more pertinent than the ******* feed I paid $ 100/month for. I Also like the charts a lot." - Comment from Leon
"DTN has never given me problems. It is incredibly stable. In fact I've occasionally lost the data feed from Interactive Brokers, but still been able to trade because I'm getting good data from DTN." - Comment from Leighton
"Previously I was using *******. IQFeed is WAY more economical, and for my charting needs is just as good, if not better." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"Thank God for your Data Feed as the only Zippers I see are on my pants (LOL), and no more 200 pip spikes to mess up charts." - Comment from Spiro via Email
"You are either overstaffed or people just don't have problems with your feed because customer support always answers the phone quickly." - Comment from Jay via Email
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
Viewing User Profile for: hooji
About Contact
Last Post: Mar 5, 2012 09:24 AM
Interests:
AIM:
Yahoo IM:
Post Statistics
hooji has contributed to 2 posts out of 21185 total posts (0.01%) in 4,437 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Yes, initially I also thought it wouldn't be hard to build the option chain list myself and then "probe" it with the API.

Unfortunately, building the option chain without knowing the strike prices is proving to be problematic.

Is there any way IQFeed can make available a list of those symbols as a zipped txt file?

Here are some of the problems I've encountered trying to generate this list:

1) Because of the variation in strike price deltas one must "probe" many many symbols that turn out to be invalid to make sure one has tried every possible strike price that might exist. Finding the option chain for a single symbol can involve up to hundreds of separate queries (each requiring a network round trip), most of which turn out to be invalid symbols. This is very slow.

2) There is an anomaly where from time to time IQFeed will return what appears to be valid data for a query on an *invalid* option chain symbol. This causes "false positives" when trying to detect which option symbols exist in a chain. Conversely, on occasion a valid symbol query will return an error suggesting that the symbol doesn't exist, thus causing "false negatives".

Because of these problems it does not appear practical (or possible) to accurately generate a list of expired option chain symbols at the current time.

So... would it be possible for DTN to generate and make available a list of those symbols?

I would actually be willing to pay for the time and effort required for DTN to generate such a list! Please contact me to work out details :)

I am pulling historic option data for backtesting.

I need to be able to discover the option chain symbols for options that have expired in order to be able to then request the historic data for the chains of interest.

There does not appear to be any way to find out the symbol names (with strike prices) for those (past) option chains... is this correct?

I am currently using TCP/IP, and I can query *current* (non-expired) option chains by using the CEO command. If this command included a way to specify the *year* (such as 2011, or 2010), then I would be able to query symbols for those past years, but it doesn't take a year parameter (i.e., it assumes forward looking, non-expired symbols only are of interest).

If there is no API based way to query this info, would it be possible to get access to a txt file listing all the EXPIRED option symbols that have historical data available?

Since IQFeed *does* support retrieving historic option data it seems only fair that there should be a way to discover which symbols are available :)

Thank You.

Time: Wed April 24, 2024 12:13 PM CFBB v1.2.0 6 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003