Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"You are either overstaffed or people just don't have problems with your feed because customer support always answers the phone quickly." - Comment from Jay via Email
"Thanks for all of your help. Great customer service deserves to be recognized which one the reasons I've been a customer of DTN for over 10 years!" - Comment from Stuart
"I cannot believe what a difference it makes trading with ProphetX!" - Comment from Bruce in Los Angeles
"I just wanted to let u know that your data feed/service is by far the best!!! Your unfiltered tick data is excellent for reading order flow and none of your competitors delivers this quality of data!" - Comment from Peter via Email
"Excellent datafeed !!!" - Comment from Arely
"You have an excellent product !!!!!!" - Comment from Arely
"I've been using Neoticker RT with IQFeed for two months, and I'm very happy with both of the products (I've had IQFeed for two years with very few complaints). The service from both companies is exceptional." - Comment from Public Forum
"I started a trial a few weeks back before the market went wild. DTN.IQ didn’t miss anything and beat my other provider. I decided to stay with you because of the great service through all the volatility." - Comment from Mike
"I'm very glad I switched to IQFeed. It's working perfectly with no lag, even during fast market conditions." - Comment from Andy via Email
"Very impressed with the quality of your feed - ******* is a real donkey in comparison." - Comment from A.C. via Email
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Wish List »Option chain retrieval should include vitals
Author Topic: Option chain retrieval should include vitals (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)

FullyArticulate
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Jan 26, 2006 12:14 AM          Msg. 1 of 6
Right now, if I want to download an option chain and display it to the user, I must query the chain, then watch and immediately unwatch each individual symbol in order to determine the strike price, expiration date, and right.

It would be really helpful if the option chain query returned something like:
symbol,right,strikePrice,daysToExpiration\n

So, for example, a query on NFLX would return entries that look like:
QNQ BY,call,27.5,23
QNQ BE,call,25,23

Better yet, include the contract muliplier (100, 150, whatever).

Thanks for listening!

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Jan 26, 2006 08:27 AM          Msg. 2 of 6
We will take a look at this. We do have the multiplier in our ticker plant, and will put it on the list of items to add to IQFeed in future releases.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

EspressoE
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 03:45 PM          Msg. 3 of 6
Is the contract multiplier already supplied somewhere? I have a need for it to flag non-standard Index/Equity options.

FullyArticulate
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 04:03 PM          Msg. 4 of 6
Sadly no. DTN says they have the data available, but it's not part of the feed.

Still, multiplier isn't really the complete picture. For example, if I do a query of options for FRO, it returns both FXW and FRO-rooted options for the next few months. FRO options are for a normal 100 shares of FRO. FXW are for FRO shares + shares of another company. How that's represented in a multiplier, I'm not sure. A "non-standard" flag would be nice. :-)

EspressoE
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 04:17 PM          Msg. 5 of 6
Yes, it does get difficult. I currently download the OCC memos and insert the adjustments by hand into my own simulation system. For example, the FXW options that you mentioned have an actual deliverable of FXW = FRO + .05 (SFL) according to the OCC's latest memo:

http://www.optionsclearing.com/market/infomemos/2006/feb/21475.pdf

Thinking about it, one way to do it would be to flag an option contract as non-standard and provide a text equation like "FXW = FRO + .05 (SFL)", the contract multiplier, and a human description of the memo information. For most cases, it should be possible to provide a machine-parseable equation, although the grammar may not be trivial to handle all cases.

I wonder if DTN has the memo information available in a better format than the OCC's online PDF format and if it's possible for them to make it available.
Edited by EspressoE on Mar 13, 2006 at 04:17 PM

FullyArticulate
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 07:39 PM          Msg. 6 of 6
The formula would be really neat. I'm currently working on an option opportunity finder. The current best deal in the S&P 100 is to sell BAC Mar 32.5 Puts for $5.30.

BAC is currently at $45.95 and hasn't seen 32.50 for 3 years.

Obviously something else is up, but my tool isn't smart enough to know that it's FAR too good to be true rather than just a little too good to be true. :-)

Time: Wed April 24, 2024 7:04 PM CFBB v1.2.0 7 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003