Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"Thank you so much - awesome feed, awesome service!" - Comment from Greg via Email
"IQFeed version 4 is a real screamer compared to anything else I have seen." - Comment from Tom
"If you are serious about your trading I would not rely on IB data for serious daytrading. Took me a while to justify the cost of IQ Feed and in the end, it's just a 2 point stop on ES. Better safe than sorry" - Comment from Public Forum
"Thanks for the great product and support. During this week of high volume trading, my QuoteTracker + IQ Feed setup never missed a beat. Also, thanks for your swiftness in responding to data issues. I was on ******* for a few years before I made the switch over early this year, and wish I had done it a long time ago." - Comment from Ken
"I used to have *******, but they are way more money for the same thing. I have had no probs with data from DTN since switching over." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"With HUGE volume on AAPL and RIMM for 2 days, everyone in a trading room was whining about freezes, crashes and lag with *******, RealTick, TS and Cyber. InvestorRT with IQFeed was rock solid. I mean SOLID!" - Comment from Public IRC Chat
"I've never had DTN go out on me since switching. ******* would go down a couple times every month when I was using them." - Comment from Bryce in AL.
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"I started a trial a few weeks back before the market went wild. DTN.IQ didn’t miss anything and beat my other provider. I decided to stay with you because of the great service through all the volatility." - Comment from Mike
"This beats the pants off CQG, I am definitely switching to the ProphetX 3.0!" - Comment from Stephen
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »DTN.IQ Client Software Support »freeze with IQFeed client 4.6.0.7
Author Topic: freeze with IQFeed client 4.6.0.7 (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)

fredcom
-Interested User-

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 09:18 AM          Msg. 1 of 8
Hi,

I start using DTNIQ 4 years ago.
As I just try IQFeed 4.6, I want to give my feel.

I'm using Excel and DTNIQ for about 1000 symbols. I know that 1000 symbols would be quite a work load for Excel, but it works. I'm only asking for "last" and, for me, it doesn't matter if I have a lag up to 2 or 3 secondes.
As I was using client 4.4, all was fine.

But with version 4.5, I had my first trouble... I experienced some freeze and the Local bandwidth felt to 0 KB/sec.
After a Chat with Technical support, I reversed to client 4.4, with the information that it will be fix with the next version...

With the last client 4.6, it's the same... it works for few seconds, and then freeze!!!
So I reversed again to 4.4... and it works.

What I don't understand is why it works with the older 4.4, and not with the newer 4.5 and 4.6.
What can be done?

my configuration :
Vista, Intel core2 Duo T5750@2ghz, RAM 2Go

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 03:47 PM          Msg. 2 of 8
fredcom, there really wasn't any code changes in the DDE that can explain for sure what you are experiencing.

We have received a couple similar reports from other users and it is something that we are looking into (but haven't been able to duplicate reliably internally). Since this doesn't happen consistantly (to all users), it is most likely caused by some sort of conflict between IQFeed and some other app running on your computer.

Supporting that theory have been a couple of cases where users have reported that the problem went away after uninstalling all "extra" applications from thier machines. By "extra applications", I mean stuff that runs in the background but is not absolutely necessary for the trading/analysis. This usually means getting rid of browser toolbars, instant messengers, Update managers and stuff like that. The easiest way to do this would be to go through your list of running processes (using the processes tab in windows taskmanager) and search for each one in Google (or other search engine). Anything that is not part of windows or part of some other application that you need (sometimes hard to tell), gets uninstalled or at least disabled. If you are not familiar with this sort of process, I definately don't recommend doing it yourself since you never know what sort of problems might arrise.

Unfortunately, I can't really offer much more advice at this time other than if the above doesn't help you to keep using the version of IQFeed that seems to work the best. And we will continue to investigate this internally.

fredcom
-Interested User-

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 10:56 AM          Msg. 3 of 8
Hello Steeve,

I tried different things.

With client 4.6, I opened Taskmanager, then kill some processus, one by one. But no change :-(

To explain more deeply my problem:
I open about 1000 symbols in Excel for "Open" and "Last", with IQConnection Manager, I can read LocalBandwidth between 500 and 1000KB/s, I have update for about 20 secondes, then fall definitly to 0kb/s and no more refresh.
At this point, it seems to be that there is too more information, IQ is not able to update, and freeze.
This is a difference with older version 4.4 (who works) as the LocalBandwidth is also between 500 and KB/s but not fall to 0kb/s.
With older version 4.4, I can also notice lag/freeze (up to 30sec) but it resumes always. The lag/freeze occurs at the start of the trading hours (9:30AM) for about 30minutes.

I tried also to open 1000 symbols, with only "Last". There is no difference with the case "Open+Last". Seems same value of LocalBandwidth and freeze after 20 secondes and no resuming.

I tried also, with task manager, to define core processor affinity, iqlink+iqconnect on core 1, and other processus on core 0... but no change.

Is there more information transmitted with 4.6 vs 4.4?

I can continue with older 4.4, it's not a problem. But I'm afraid that one day you told users that older version will not be supported anymore!!!

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 11:09 AM          Msg. 4 of 8
One other option would be to take a look at XLQ: http://www.qmatix.com/XLQ.htm or QuoteIN: http://www.quotelink.net/pg/iqfeed 3rd party apps. They are much more efficient when feeding data into Excel because it uses RTD instead of DDE.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN

fredcom
-Interested User-

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 08:16 AM          Msg. 5 of 8
Hi,

I download XLQ and tried to implement it in Excel.
That's not the solution. :-(

2 things:
First/ With RTD, We can't have XLQ running in Excel AND a macro in the same time --> that's mean that Excel can't be use to have datas (XLQ feeding by IQ, or Yahoo or anyelse) and at the same time an Excel macro who checks opportunities. If an Excel macro is running, datas given by XLQ are frozen.

Second/ Without RTD (in XLQ preference, disable "enhanced functionnality of Excel" --> no RTD anymore but only Snapshot when user ask for "calculate" in Excel), BUT no possibility to run an "Account Request" of InteractiveBrokers in Excel as ... "enhanced functionnality of Excel" are disabled.

I checked with XLQ support for my test.

So, I'm back to my previous problem... as version 4.4 of IQfeed works fine, but version 4.5 and 4.6 have freeze.

With version 4.4, when there is a lot of new informations (big local bandwidth), datas in Excel can lag for several seconds; and when there is fewer informations (local bandwidth below 1000 for my computer), then no more lag.
But with versions 4.5 and 4.6, I experience lag, then freeze, and no more resuming.
Edited by fredcom on Aug 31, 2009 at 08:18 AM

fredcom
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 04:34 AM          Msg. 6 of 8
Hi,
I'm going crazy, and it's not good for trading.

As there is no improvment for me, I checked the forum, and read a message from Steeve (http://forums.dtniq.com/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2599 ) telling : "I definately recommend utilizing the Dynamic fieldsets feature of IQFeed to minimize the data that IQConnect has to process and send to your app".

It's the first time I read something like that, and it's a sun.

So my question is : is there a way to minimize data for an export to Excel by DDE?

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Feb 22, 2010 11:06 AM          Msg. 7 of 8
fredcom, There is not a way to customize the data output when using DDE. The quote you posted above was for 3rd party developers who are writing custom code for the feed. Our DDE link does not provide this functionality.

fredcom
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 22, 2010 01:21 PM          Msg. 8 of 8
Steve,
ok.
I try to found a solution.
Is my bandwidth(9830.333 Kbps = 1228.792 Ko/sec) sufficient?
If so, I'm going to change my computer.
To not make a mistake, I'd like to have a good configuration.
Would you like to tell me if DTNIQ (about 1000 symbols with DDE link in Excel) will work the best with a multi-core (something like Intel I7), or it will only uses 1 CPU?
If you have any suggestion about confifuration, don't hesitate.

Edited by fredcom on Feb 23, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Time: Fri April 26, 2024 5:10 AM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003