Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"Just a thank you for the very helpful and prompt assistance and services. You provided me with noticeably superior service in my setup compared to a couple of other options I had looked at." - Comment from John
"Its working FABULOUSLY for me!! Holy cow...there has been so much I've been missing lately, and with this feed and Linnsoft software...I'm in the game now." - Comment from Chris R.
"And by the way, have to say this. I love the IQFeed software. It's rock solid and it has a really nice API." - Comment from Thomas via RT Chat
"Thanks for the great product and support. During this week of high volume trading, my QuoteTracker + IQ Feed setup never missed a beat. Also, thanks for your swiftness in responding to data issues. I was on ******* for a few years before I made the switch over early this year, and wish I had done it a long time ago." - Comment from Ken
"I noticed that ******* quotes locked up shortly after the interest rate announcement yesterday while yours stayed stable." - Comment from Ron in Utah
"Can I get another account from you? I am tired of ******* going down so often" - Comment from George
"If someone needs the best quality data and backfill beyond what their broker provides at a rate that is the best in the industry, I highly recommend IQFeed." - Comment from Josh via Public Forum
"As a past ******* customer(and not a happy one), IQ Feed by DTN is a much better and cheaper product with great customer support. I have had no problems at all since switching over." - Comment from Public Forum
"I use IQ Feed, Great stuff as far as data analysis information, storage and retrieval is concerned." - Comment from Public Forum
"Previously I was using *******. IQFeed is WAY more economical, and for my charting needs is just as good, if not better." - Comment from Public Forum Post
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »High number of error packets
Author Topic: High number of error packets (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)

dhakme
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Oct 18, 2004 08:55 PM          Msg. 1 of 7
Is anyone else experiencing a very high rate of error packets? On Monday while streaming 1300 NASDAQ symbols, I received over 20,000 malformed packets in the first 2 hours. Most had either a missing timestamp or an incorrect number of fields.
IQFeed support informed me of a problem prior to the NADAQ open so it is possible that the problems were ongoing.
At around 11:50am I stopped receiving data. My application automatically disconnected and attempted a reconnect. This failed several times and the application aborted.

I am running IQFeed v2.3.0.2. The router logs and other monitors indicate the Internet connection was fine.

Dennis

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Oct 19, 2004 08:15 AM          Msg. 2 of 7
Many of us internally run 1300 or more symbols all day long with our DTN.IQ client in order to monitor things. We have never seen malformed packets in our testing. We did have a premarket issues on a few of our servers that was corrected before market open. We also received calls mid/late morning that customers were unable to connect. Our system was fully operational at this time, so we expect the issue was some link between some of the major ISP's and our datacenters. Both of these issues were unrelated. As for the malformed packets, in nearly all cases this has been traced to a 3rd party application that doesn't have a large enough TCP buffer to handle the amount of data we are sending. If you are using your own app, try to increase the TCP buffer and it should take care of the issue.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

dhakme
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Oct 19, 2004 10:17 AM          Msg. 3 of 7
Jay,

I have already seen suggestions that the TCP buffer may be the cause. I am running WinXP and as far as I can tell the TCP buffer size in the IP stack is dynamically controlled by the OS.
I am running my own Java application and the buffers for TCP/sockets were increased with no difference to the result. I am running a dual 3.2GHz machine and cpu load is moderate so I'm easily coping with the stream of data.
I might switch on logging for the IQFeed client and compare that output with my raw data received. If the problem is related to the buffers then the IQFeed logs shouldn't be corrupted while my data is. I'll switch it on for Thursdays trading.

cheers,
Dennis

kdresser
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 25, 2004 09:48 AM          Msg. 4 of 7
I too have been experiencing currupted records. They seem to be of two kinds.

1. Missing timestamp field. Some days I get just a few, and some days I can get thousands. If there's a lot of them, they usually occur around the open.

For now, I've been simply ignoring these.

2. Currupted layout. Appears as wrong number of comma separated fields, and the string "U,F|" showing up in some field(s).

Once this happens to a particular symbol, it looks like all subsequent records for that symbol are mangled. To get a symbol reporting correctly again, I dop it, wait 1 sec, and resubscribe.

I get between 0 and a dozen of these per day. Most, but not all, happen near the open. I'm watching roughly 475 symbols, all NASDAQ.

My monitoring program is the only thing running on a 3GHz 2MB Win2000 box. It has happened on both of my internet connections (one is ADSL, the other is cable, each with entirely different ISPs).

CPU useage peaks at 30%-40% for a few seconds during the open and otherwise is around 10%.

I have been logging the culprit raw records if you want to see these.

My project is in development and I can help with any additional logging or testing you might want me to try.

Thanks.

taa_dtn
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Nov 25, 2004 10:08 AM          Msg. 5 of 7
The missing timestamps have been around for a while -- I first asked about them a couple of months ago. My experience is similar to those reported above; usually a burst of malformed records, occurring near the open.

Allen

dhakme
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Nov 25, 2004 05:28 PM          Msg. 6 of 7
kdresser,

I've found that you're approach is the best way to handle these DTNIQ bugs. ie ignore updates missing a timestamp and unwatch/rewatch symbols that are coming down as corrupted. This bug has been reported as bug 2750 in the API buglist, however if you read through this list there is no indication of what its priority is or when it will be fixed (I would have thought it was critical)

If you browse through the threads in this forum you will see a variety of suggestions that help reduce but not eliminate these problems. eg increase TCP buffer size, use a separate thread to read data from the IQFeed client, etc All of these suggestions try to improve the speed with wich you read updates from the IQFeed client.
No one from the IQFeed development team has confirmed this but it would seem that they have separate buffers for each symbol and if these ever get full that symbol's updates become corrupted. That's why unwatching/rewatching works. We have implemented a very fast method for reading updates from the IQFeed client and it rarely gets more than 100 updates queued. At the start of market with 1300 symbols watched (2000+ updates/sec) that's a max of 50ms delay but we STILL get corruption.
BTW, you also have to be carefull about how fast you send the symbol watch requests!!

I've mentioned in other threads how ridiculous it is for the IQFeed client to pass on corrupt packets under load. If the computer or application is not fast enough then updates should simply be dropped. (IQFeed developers PLEASE FIX THIS BUG in the next release)

I am now actively looking for a second data feed for redundancy and reliability purposes with the intent of combining the two inputs to create one reliable feed.
Of course, as the DTNIQ feed does not include exchange generated time stamps with seconds or any unique exchange generated identifier it will be difficult to do this, but that's another flaming thread :-)

cheers

LonnieS
-King of IQ Development-

Posted: Jan 21, 2005 07:34 AM          Msg. 7 of 7
We are working on fixing the corruption under load.
We are also working on adding second resolution - and considering the addition of exchange time in a new protocol.
And we're working on tick correction.
The bad news is I don't have release dates for any of these upgrades but I currently expect them in first quarter.

Lonnie Shumate
Development Manager, IQ Systems
DTN Market ACCESS

Time: Sun May 5, 2024 10:49 PM CFBB v1.2.0 12 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003