Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"Thank God for your Data Feed as the only Zippers I see are on my pants (LOL), and no more 200 pip spikes to mess up charts." - Comment from Spiro via Email
"Very impressed with the quality of your feed - ******* is a real donkey in comparison." - Comment from A.C. via Email
"Its working FABULOUSLY for me!! Holy cow...there has been so much I've been missing lately, and with this feed and Linnsoft software...I'm in the game now." - Comment from Chris R.
"I was with ******* for 4 years at $230 a month, this is a huge savings for me, GOD BLESS YOU PEOPLE," - Comment from T.S. via Email
"You are much better than lawyers or the phone company because you answer the phone when I call! I just love your customer service." - Comment from Isreal
"IQ feed is brilliant. The support is mind-bending. What service!" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"It’s so nice to be working with real professionals!" - Comment from Len
"I started a trial a few weeks back before the market went wild. DTN.IQ didn’t miss anything and beat my other provider. I decided to stay with you because of the great service through all the volatility." - Comment from Mike
"I ran your IQFeed DDE vs. my broker vs. a level II window for some slow-moving options. I would see the level II quote change, then your feed update instantaneously. My broker's DDE, however, would take as much as 30 seconds to update. I am not chasing milliseconds, but half a minute is unacceptable." - Comment from Rob
"Version 4.0.0.2 has been working well for me and I appreciate that it is now a much tighter client to work with. I feel I can go to press with my own application and rely on a stable platform" - Comment from David in IA.
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »Data and Content Support »Duplicate news entries
Author Topic: Duplicate news entries (15 messages, Page 1 of 1)

illuminatus7
-Interested User-

Posted: May 30, 2012 11:07 AM          Msg. 1 of 15
Hi, for the past couple of days I've seen this issue where the same news story comes on the IQFeed news feed multiple times. I only look at FlyOnTheWall news, so it's quite possible the problem is on their end. At any rate, their customer support is non-existent, so I hope you can get to the bottom of it.

I'm attaching a screen shot (of my application) displaying the same news delivered 3x today with different storyId's at different times. Same title and same body text. This is just one example but I've seen it happen a dozen other times just today.

Thanks

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
-- Confucius

File Attached: NewsDebug.jpg (downloaded 1749 times)

DTN_ToddH
-DTN Guru-

Posted: May 30, 2012 11:26 AM          Msg. 2 of 15
Hello Illuminatus7,

Since the 3 stories have 3 different StoryId numbers, I think it is safe to assume that the stories were sent out deliberately by FlyOTWall. If the same StoryIds were repeating, then we would have an issue to check into. Thanks.

illuminatus7
-Interested User-

Posted: May 30, 2012 11:35 AM          Msg. 3 of 15
Uhm, ok. Do you have a support email / number listed for FlyOnTheWall? There's no such thing on their website. Particularly since I'm not directly a member of their website and I can't log in to www.theflyonthewall.com

-- Confucius

DTN_ToddH
-DTN Guru-

Posted: May 30, 2012 01:01 PM          Msg. 4 of 15
We are trying to find out more about this - I will be back...

DTN_ToddH
-DTN Guru-

Posted: May 30, 2012 02:14 PM          Msg. 5 of 15
Hello again,

We continue to look into the process of posting the news articles and are asking for assistance from Support@Flyonthewall.com . I will let you know when we learn something helpful.

illuminatus7
-Interested User-

Posted: May 30, 2012 02:18 PM          Msg. 6 of 15
Thanks

-- Confucius

illuminatus7
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 4, 2012 10:01 AM          Msg. 7 of 15
Maybe on a related note, today I got 50 or more of these FlyOnTheWall stories from IQFeed. Basically there's a title but no news body when I request the news item. This is very unusual.

Time: 20120604 09:15:23
StoryId=21331170025
Title=Northern Freegold Resources Commences Drilling at Freegold Mountain...
XML=
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<news_stories>
</news_stories>

Time: 20120604 09:00:34
StoryId=21331166132
Title=Pandora falls 2.1%
XML=
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<news_stories>
</news_stories>

Time: 20120604 09:00:34
StoryId=21331166135
Title=Celgene volatility elevated into Revlimid label expansion vote
XML=
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<news_stories>
</news_stories>

-- Confucius

DTN_ToddH
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Jun 4, 2012 01:31 PM          Msg. 8 of 15
Hello,

This latest post appears to be a different issue. I am told that the stories do appear in
the database and we are able to retrieve them from the feed. Are you reading these news stories in DTNIQ or are you using another software?

As for FlyontheWall.com, we have not heard back yet and the UK holiday may delay their response (?).

illuminatus7
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 4, 2012 01:57 PM          Msg. 9 of 15
I'm just requesting them using the IQFeed API using a local TCP/IP client (in my own software which is written in java). I'm running the latest client version (I think) and this setup has worked fine for me until recently...

-- Confucius

illuminatus7
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 10:20 AM          Msg. 10 of 15
Btw, as of today I'm still having the issue with many API news requests returning an empty article XML, so it was not an isolated incident. Well, not empty but no news included.

Time: 20120606 11:05:23
StoryId=21331900998
Title=Harris & Harris notes Nanosys
XML=
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<news_stories>
</news_stories>

-- Confucius

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 10:52 AM          Msg. 11 of 15
Hello, I'm looking into the failed story requests and I'll let you know if I need any more information.

illuminatus7
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 27, 2012 09:15 AM          Msg. 12 of 15
Hi, it's been 3 weeks and largely the "failed story" issue had improved. That is, until today, when I got about 50 of those:

Time: 20120627 10:00:26
StoryId=21338220131
Title=Oceaneering International Announces Second Quarter 2012 Earnings Re...
XML=
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<news_stories>
</news_stories>

-- Confucius

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Jun 27, 2012 05:01 PM          Msg. 13 of 15
Thanks for bringing this issue back to the forefront. This appears to be some sort of timing issue in the servers. We are actively working on tracking this down.

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Jun 29, 2012 04:30 PM          Msg. 14 of 15
Hello, we have identified the source of this issue.

There is a bug in IQFeed which allows you to get cross connected between server farms (streaming headlines comming from one server farm and story lookup comming from the other server farm). When that happens, there is potential (although rare) that you will request the story before the other server farm has it added to the database resulting in the empty story. A re-request should fix this.

However, it is also possible that the headline ID in the story is not valid on the other server farm (they aren't guaranteed to be the same across server farms but they usually are). In that scenario, a re-request will not resolve the issue.

In either case, the only way to guarantee this (the cross-connect) doesn't happen with the current version is to make sure you shut down the feed and restart it anytime you get disconnected from the Level 1 server (you get a S,SERVER DISCONNECTED message when this happens). The initial connection to the feed works fine. It is only when the feed reconnects automatically that the cross-connections occur.

illuminatus7
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 29, 2012 06:39 PM          Msg. 15 of 15
Thanks, I'll try requesting the story more than once and see what happens.

-- Confucius

Time: Sat May 4, 2024 5:33 AM CFBB v1.2.0 14 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003