Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I was with ******* for 4 years at $230 a month, this is a huge savings for me, GOD BLESS YOU PEOPLE," - Comment from T.S. via Email
"With HUGE volume on AAPL and RIMM for 2 days, everyone in a trading room was whining about freezes, crashes and lag with *******, RealTick, TS and Cyber. InvestorRT with IQFeed was rock solid. I mean SOLID!" - Comment from Public IRC Chat
"Thank you so much - awesome feed, awesome service!" - Comment from Greg via Email
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"This beats the pants off CQG, I am definitely switching to the ProphetX 3.0!" - Comment from Stephen
"Its working FABULOUSLY for me!! Holy cow...there has been so much I've been missing lately, and with this feed and Linnsoft software...I'm in the game now." - Comment from Chris R.
"Thanks for the great product and support. During this week of high volume trading, my QuoteTracker + IQ Feed setup never missed a beat. Also, thanks for your swiftness in responding to data issues. I was on ******* for a few years before I made the switch over early this year, and wish I had done it a long time ago." - Comment from Ken
"DTN has never given me problems. It is incredibly stable. In fact I've occasionally lost the data feed from Interactive Brokers, but still been able to trade because I'm getting good data from DTN." - Comment from Leighton
"I like you guys better than *******...much more stable and a whole lot fewer issues." - Comment from Philip
"DTN feed was the only feed that consistently matched Bloomberg feed for BID/ASK data verification work these past years......DTN feed is a must for my supply & demand based trading using Cumulative Delta" - Comment from Public Forum Post
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »V5.0 Level 2 Grouped Message Flag
Author Topic: V5.0 Level 2 Grouped Message Flag (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)

Adyle0
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 9, 2013 04:25 AM          Msg. 1 of 9
Could you please elaborate on the usage of the Grouped Message flag?

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Apr 9, 2013 08:33 AM          Msg. 2 of 9
This flag indicates that the messages were generated from a single message from the exchange and that the messages should be processed together before any analysis on the data. It should eliminate any data inconsistancies in depth levels.

Adyle0
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 9, 2013 09:15 AM          Msg. 3 of 9
Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't some sort of End Of Bundled Messages indication be necessary? How can you tell all such messages have been received?

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Apr 9, 2013 09:55 AM          Msg. 4 of 9
The flag is only set if the message is part of a group.

So if you get 5 messages with group flags as follows:

Message 1 - Group Flag = F
Message 2 - Group Flag = T
Message 3 - Group Flag = T
Message 4 - Group Flag = T
Message 5 - Group Flag = F

You know that messages 2, 3, and 4 all need to be processed before applying any analytics.

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Apr 9, 2013 04:50 PM          Msg. 5 of 9
After thinking about this a bit more, I see the deficiency in the field as it stands currently.

Under the scenario where multiple message groups come in back to back, there is no way to determine the end of one group and the start of the next.

As a result, in the public beta we just posted on the website (IQF 5.0.0.10), we have altered this field to be an End of Message group flag. As a result, the example above will become:

Message 1 - End of Group Flag = T
Message 2 - End of Group Flag = F
Message 3 - End of Group Flag = F
Message 4 - End of Group Flag = T
Message 5 - End of Group Flag = T

Indicating that messages 2 and 3 should be processed and analyzed at the end of the group (message 4). Messages 1 and Messages 5 are groups that consist of a single message.
Edited by DTN_Steve_S on Apr 9, 2013 at 04:50 PM

Adyle0
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 10, 2013 02:48 AM          Msg. 6 of 9
Thank you, that makes much more sense.

Adi

taa_dtn
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Apr 10, 2013 04:32 PM          Msg. 7 of 9
Steve, just a comment on protocol design...

If anything happens to interfere with the delivery of the record containing the end-of-group flag, the next group will be improperly merged into the previous one. Why not use an incrementing group number instead? That would eliminate the contamination of the next group. If it's ever useful, it would also allow you to interleave delivery of multiple groups (up to the point at which the group number wraps around).

Allen

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Apr 10, 2013 05:17 PM          Msg. 8 of 9
Allen, in IQFeed 5.0, the servers deliver groups to IQFeed in a single message so that is guaranteed to not happen (if an interruption occurs, the entire group will be lost and not just part of it).

Additionally, an incrementing group number (without an End of Group flag) would suffer from having to wait for the next message to arrive after the group ended before you can determine that the group is complete. This was also an issue with our initial implementation but not highlighted in my above post.

taa_dtn
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Apr 10, 2013 05:31 PM          Msg. 9 of 9
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, as long as you assume groups are delivered reliably, then a termination flag (or an initial record count) is good enough. If you can't make that assumption, then apps will need to terminate a group after a timeout; neither a flag nor a group number is sufficient to solve that case.

Allen

Time: Sat May 18, 2024 3:59 PM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003