Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I ran your IQFeed DDE vs. my broker vs. a level II window for some slow-moving options. I would see the level II quote change, then your feed update instantaneously. My broker's DDE, however, would take as much as 30 seconds to update. I am not chasing milliseconds, but half a minute is unacceptable." - Comment from Rob
"Interactive Brokers tick data was inconsistent, so I have switched to using DTN exclusively. It is great to no longer have to worry about my datafeed all day long." - Comment from Philippe
"Very impressed with the quality of your feed - ******* is a real donkey in comparison." - Comment from A.C. via Email
"You are either overstaffed or people just don't have problems with your feed because customer support always answers the phone quickly." - Comment from Jay via Email
"I just wanted to let u know that your data feed/service is by far the best!!! Your unfiltered tick data is excellent for reading order flow and none of your competitors delivers this quality of data!" - Comment from Peter via Email
"This beats the pants off CQG, I am definitely switching to the ProphetX 3.0!" - Comment from Stephen
"And by the way, have to say this. I love the IQFeed software. It's rock solid and it has a really nice API." - Comment from Thomas via RT Chat
"My broker in Davenport suggested I give you a try as he uses your service and says its the best." - Comment from Bill via RT Chat
"Can I get another account from you? I am tired of ******* going down so often" - Comment from George
"It’s so nice to be working with real professionals!" - Comment from Len
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »API Stability Problems
Author Topic: API Stability Problems (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)

kweiss
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 22, 2005 02:50 PM          Msg. 1 of 6
Hi! I've been trying to implement a historical datafeed using your API (the production
release v2.3.0.1, NOT the beta, although I've experienced similar problems with the
beta!) but I've been running into a ton of issues using both ActiveX, TCP/IP and .DLL
interfaces. Most notably:

1) I can't instanciate IQConnect.exe reliably via the RegisterClientApp() function.
I've basically come to the conclusion that there is a significant clash with your code
and .NET. It may be related to running the API in a single AppDomain but other
problems prevented my from confirming this even when I split the IQConnect
instanciation and TCP/IP history feed into two separate AppDomains. I know that
AlexBellrock came up with a manual workaround that jibes with this idea (documented in
the "Unstable connection to IQFeed from .NET" thread) but it isn't a viable solution
for me.

2) Even when I [rarely!!] got a connection up and running, there is an obvious memory
leak that crashes my program when I try to marshal data from the DTNHistoryLookup.dll
object. I'd download a fair sized chunk of data just fine, but when the variables went
out of scope a deallocation / stale handle error would always happen in the ActiveX.
This is easy to see either by hand debugging or via the DevPartner Studio Memory Leak
detector.

3) Even, on the rare instances when I got the code to work for a (short!) while I've
had no luck receiving notification messages (via TCP/IP!) that indicated IQCOnnect
shutdown. Needless to say, this is a critical issue for me because I'm want to use the
data feed in a live situation and I have to have rock solid data-feed reliability.
Having the server go south without any notice is very bad.

In case you're wondering, I've tried the API on 4 different machines (1 WIn2K, the rest
WinXP), all with varying degree's of luck but no overall success. The VB 6.0 code,
however, has always worked great, and I've frequently baselined my installation using
the VB 6.0 code just to make sure I didn't screw up the installation.

I'm at wits end and I could clearly use help! For starters, a working example program
would go a long way. Your existing .NET examples are way too sparse to be any help.
More to the point, neither one implements historical data functions.

As to myself, I am a very experienced multi-language developer with lots of API
projects under my belt. I find it hard to believe that a lot of people are using this
product in mission-critical .NET apps. I would, however, like to change that.

To that end I offer my services to whatever exetent you're ready to utilize them. I'd
be happy to work with your developer(s) to create robust documented working code which
I would be happen to share with others.

Regardless, I need your help to move on.

Thanks.....

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Apr 25, 2005 09:05 PM          Msg. 2 of 6
Thank you for your offer. We are working hard to get through final testing of another release of IQFeed. It will have much better sample apps, and better support for .NET. There are people using .NET with IQFeed, so hopefully someone will chime in and offer some suggestions. In the mean time, we are hoping to get a beta out of the new IQFeed shortly so you can provide your feedback. A notice will go out when its available on the developer site.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

kweiss
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 25, 2005 10:28 PM          Msg. 3 of 6
By any chance, do you have an estimated time for the new version of IQFeed to be ready. This phase of my project development is now at a dead standstill. Any time estimates would be very helpful.

Thank you

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Apr 26, 2005 10:17 AM          Msg. 4 of 6
I have been wrong on every estimate I have given on the board, so I am not going to provide any more dates. It is in the final testing and a change document is being reviewed currently, so it shouldn't be long.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

DTN_Natalie_H
-DTN Evangelist-

DTN Market Access, LLC.

Posted: Apr 26, 2005 03:44 PM          Msg. 5 of 6
kweiss,

I will look into the issues that you are having, to determine if the new version fixes these. Thanks!

Natalie Hannan DTN Market Access, LLC.

Ilia
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 29, 2005 01:10 AM          Msg. 6 of 6
I'm in the same boat as kweiss right now. I have every simptom he mentioned with my implementation. Lost 2 weeks fighting with these problems :-(

Time: Sat May 4, 2024 10:51 AM CFBB v1.2.0 8 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003