Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"DTN has never given me problems. It is incredibly stable. In fact I've occasionally lost the data feed from Interactive Brokers, but still been able to trade because I'm getting good data from DTN." - Comment from Leighton
"I've been using IQFeed 4 in a multi-threaded situation for the last week or two on 2600 symbols or so with 100 simultaneous daily charts, and I have had 100% responsiveness." - Comment from Scott
"I was with ******* for 4 years at $230 a month, this is a huge savings for me, GOD BLESS YOU PEOPLE," - Comment from T.S. via Email
"Everything is working amazing now. I'm already impressed with the true-tick feed of IQFeed and it's ability to support my 480 symbol layout." - Comment from Tyler via Email
"IQ feed is brilliant. The support is mind-bending. What service!" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"If someone needs the best quality data and backfill beyond what their broker provides at a rate that is the best in the industry, I highly recommend IQFeed." - Comment from Josh via Public Forum
"I ran your IQFeed DDE vs. my broker vs. a level II window for some slow-moving options. I would see the level II quote change, then your feed update instantaneously. My broker's DDE, however, would take as much as 30 seconds to update. I am not chasing milliseconds, but half a minute is unacceptable." - Comment from Rob
"Thanks for the great product and support. During this week of high volume trading, my QuoteTracker + IQ Feed setup never missed a beat. Also, thanks for your swiftness in responding to data issues. I was on ******* for a few years before I made the switch over early this year, and wish I had done it a long time ago." - Comment from Ken
"Version 4.0.0.2 has been working well for me and I appreciate that it is now a much tighter client to work with. I feel I can go to press with my own application and rely on a stable platform" - Comment from David in IA.
"My broker in Davenport suggested I give you a try as he uses your service and says its the best." - Comment from Bill via RT Chat
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »NEW IQFEED FORUMS »Miscellaneous Messages »Machine learning and tick-by-tick data
Author Topic: Machine learning and tick-by-tick data (2 messages, Page 1 of 1)

keohir808
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 30, 2022 08:45 PM          Msg. 1 of 2
There seems to be a lack of research regarding the use of tick-by-tick data as input to machine learning models. Has anyone experimented with machine learning and tick-by-tick data? I’ve trained an LSTM with about 2 years worth using tick-by-tick data with DTN which fit a certain criteria such as float, volume, price. The result is a model with around 69.9% accuracy. A naïve model which predicts that the bid price will be the same price as the last tick has an accuracy of around 65%. I’m wondering if I can increase my model’s accuracy through feature engineering. Could anyone share research papers regarding machine learning and tick-by-tick data? Does anyone have any insight regarding data transformations that can be applied to financial data which may result in increased accuracy if used as a feature in machine learning models?

Interests & Tools: Machine Learning, Neural Networks, Deep Learning, Python, Java, Trading, Small Caps, Interactive Brokers.
Edited by keohir808 on Jan 30, 2022 at 08:50 PM

taa_dtn
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Jan 31, 2022 11:10 AM          Msg. 2 of 2
Yes, I experimented with this a few years ago. Your questions are relevant and insightful, but I don't have much useful information to offer in reply.

I haven't seen many published papers on the subject in recent years. Take that with a grain of salt, though, because I'm not looking actively enough. Possibly if the technique has been applied successfully, it hasn't been discussed in public for the obvious reasons. Hopefully someone else will reply with better information.

In general, I hit the same roadblocks you did. It's hard to choose the right network architecture (financial data isn't statistically stationary, so I wasn't able to design either recurrent or convolutional networks that were consistently successful). Raw tick-by-tick data has so much variability along so many dimensions that I suspect feature engineering is necessary, but that's a major research project in its own right. Techniques currently being used for natural language processing are probably where I'd start if I were to look at this again today.

Possibly the most fundamental problem I ran into is that it doesn't seem workable to use a scalar value to measure outcomes, so anything based on simple gradient descent is problematic. I think a practical outcome measurement must be at least three-dimensional -- it needs to include return, risk, and capital management. Arguably more, but the need for those three is easy to understand.

Time: Wed April 24, 2024 5:00 AM CFBB v1.2.0 19 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003