Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I just wanted to let u know that your data feed/service is by far the best!!! Your unfiltered tick data is excellent for reading order flow and none of your competitors delivers this quality of data!" - Comment from Peter via Email
"Awesome response, as usual. It is a sincere and refreshing pleasure to do business with DTN, compared to your competition." - Comment from Ryan
"I am enjoying the feed very much - so superior to the broker provided feed I was previously using." - Comment from George
"I ran your IQFeed DDE vs. my broker vs. a level II window for some slow-moving options. I would see the level II quote change, then your feed update instantaneously. My broker's DDE, however, would take as much as 30 seconds to update. I am not chasing milliseconds, but half a minute is unacceptable." - Comment from Rob
"I use IQ Feed, Great stuff as far as data analysis information, storage and retrieval is concerned." - Comment from Public Forum
"There is no doubt that IQFeed is the best data provider. I am very satisfied with your services. And IQFeed is the only one that I would recommend to my friends. Now, most of them are using your product in China." - Comment from Zhezhe
"And by the way, have to say this. I love the IQFeed software. It's rock solid and it has a really nice API." - Comment from Thomas via RT Chat
"I just wanted to tell you what a fine job you have been doing. While *******, from what I hear, has been down and out, off and on, IQ feed has held like a champ this week." - Comment from Shirin
"Can I get another account from you? I am tired of ******* going down so often" - Comment from George
"The people at Nirvana have very nice things to say about your company and I can see why! Price and service is a potent combination." - Comment from Ed
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »Data and Content Support »New option symbols
Author Topic: New option symbols (21 messages, Page 1 of 1)

arturo didonna
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 09:57 AM          Msg. 1 of 21
Hi. I am an option trader.

The CBOE recently switched to the new option nomenclature. For example, the new symbol of the OVTI 2009 Dec 12.50 Call is now UCM0919L12.5, whereas it used to be UCM LV in the old format.

Unfortunately, DTN is still using the old format (I am accessing it through QCollector program). Therefore, I am looking or an utility that takes as input a list of new symbols and outputs them in the old format. Even a side by side list would suffice.

Thanks in advance.

Stan S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 10:01 AM          Msg. 2 of 21
Hi Arturo,

I will turn your request over to our Market Integity dept to see if they have anything that lists the old & new symbols together. I dont beleive so, but I will see what we can find.
We are going to switch to the new symbology in Feb.

Stan S

What we do today, determines how people remember us forever.
Be the positive force in someone life.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 10:02 AM          Msg. 3 of 21
please see this post for information about our symbology and transition plan.

http://forums.dtn.com/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2546

Jay Froscheiser
DTN

arturo didonna
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 10:43 AM          Msg. 4 of 21
Many thanks to Jay and Stan for their answers and for making clear DTN transition plans. If I understand correctly there is no workaround for this problen before the end of January or February 1st. Is that correct?
Edited by arturo didonna on Dec 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Stan S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 10:46 AM          Msg. 5 of 21
Correct & sorry, but there is no work around & we dont have any kind of side by side symbol list to find the new symbols.

Sorry we cant be more help with it.

Stan S

chito_j
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 02:23 PM          Msg. 6 of 21
I've been faced with the same problem, and I've been able to create a map (at least for the index options which is my universe). However, I still have issues with a sizeable minority of (important) symbols. To produce a clean data set, is there a way DTN can provide :

a) the complete expiry date (eg, so I can distinguish month-end from 3rd Friday)
b) actual traded exchange (so I can resolve the interlisteds like the bank index BKX)

I don't seem to be able to get the above data via the IQFeed symbol dump. Any way to get at these? Am happy to freely share the mapping

Thanks

Stan S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 03:43 PM          Msg. 7 of 21
Hi Chito,

Our developers are looking into your request. The Experation dates & traded exchange are a part of the data feed, Check your charting software & seeif the quote page has columns for Exp data or Market Center.

At this point there is no symbol cross reference that we are aware of. I will post more information here when I receive it.

Stan S

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 03:56 PM          Msg. 8 of 21
As Stan mentioned, we are looking into this. Providing a list of Complete expiration dates is fairly easy, however, we are not certain what you are asking for with the actual traded exchange since these options trade on more than one exchange. Can you give me an example of which information makes the mapping possible for you assuming we can provide the expiration date?

Thanks.

chito_j
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 02:53 PM          Msg. 9 of 21
Hi Steve

An exchange code will discriminate between two interlisted contracts issued with the same expiry and strike (eg, we've come across this with BKX - the bank index - in the past, though I can't see anything at this time that I can forward as an active example)

However, even the full expiry date data (ie, mm/dd/yyyy or some variant) will take care of the bulk of the problems I'm encountering re generating a clean map

Also, it would be great if these inputs (ie, exp.dt | exchg) to my mapping utility could be provided as part of the end-of-day symbol file (ie, the zip'd one). I can then align the current OPRA code with the new OSI symbol in return (also in csv fmt)

Thanks / ... Chito

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 04:30 PM          Msg. 10 of 21
Hello, our server team has created a cross-reference file for all 340,574 current Index and Equity option symbols. It can be downloaded here:

http://www.dtniq.com/product/IEOption_20100115.zip

It is a tab delimited text file that includes the current symbol, Expiration date in the format CCYYMMDD, Strike price, and New OSI symbol.

This contains the "Phase 1" OSI symbols only at this point and that appears to be the same symbology that CBOE is using on thier website.
Edited by DTN_Jay_Froscheiser on Jan 22, 2010 at 06:29 PM

chito_j
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 03:44 PM          Msg. 11 of 21
Thanks Steve . . . the data file is just what I was looking for!

I ran the contents through our index analytics and we got about 99% of the expected universe we were after. The missing 1% seems to arise with valid contracts that have 0-bid & 0-ask (eg, SZJ LP, new symbol SZJ1117L280 - underlying is SPX). Would it be possible to include these also (since our analytics would like to see the entire chain)?

I'd also suggest that a fresh set be published weekly (so that new contracts get picked up) until the OSI symbology goes industry-wide on Feb 12. I think many of your options users will find this quite useful.

Again, many thanks to you and the server team for a timely and comprehensive response. If only other vendors could be as good . . .

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 03:59 PM          Msg. 12 of 21
SZJ LP is not showing as a valid option in our servers.

However, to update this thread even further, after checking the symbol changes overnight in the list provided above, we have decided that we will publish this list daily until the time that the symbols convert to the new OSI.

It will be published in the same format as the previous list but with an updated date
Today's list can be found here:

chito_j
-Interested User-

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 07:31 PM          Msg. 13 of 21
Thanks for opting to publish daily updates. Can you confirm the location . . . I tried the above URL with a modified date (for the 21st) but was unable to link to a file

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 11:02 PM          Msg. 14 of 21
it looks like the last file we updated was on the 18th. Must be a glitch in the process that copies it to the webserver. We will check into it and make sure it gets posted tomorrow.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN

chito_j
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 10, 2010 07:26 PM          Msg. 15 of 21
Hi Jay

Can you post the URL for 2010 data? I've tried variations of the URL from an earlier posting on this thread, but haven't been able to access the right location

Thanks

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Jan 11, 2010 09:05 AM          Msg. 16 of 21

AMA
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Jan 22, 2010 06:26 PM          Msg. 17 of 21
None of the urls listed above seem to work. I get dead pages on ALL of them.

Please post a url for the cross-reference chart that actually works...

AMA
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Jan 22, 2010 06:28 PM          Msg. 18 of 21
Never mind; by fiddling with urls, I found a cross-ref chart from 1/15...

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Jan 22, 2010 06:28 PM          Msg. 19 of 21

chito_j
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 05:25 PM          Msg. 20 of 21
Hi Jay

Will DTN still be posting daily (per an earlier eMail on this thread) or just weekly? If the latter, will it be on Fridays (eg, the next one will be for the 22nd)?

Thanks

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 02:52 PM          Msg. 21 of 21

Time: Sun April 28, 2024 1:09 AM CFBB v1.2.0 13 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003